The SMG is designed for close quarters combat and is best used at short distances because of its high rate of fire and reduced range. Along with the Assault Rifle, the Submachine Gun is one of the two most commonly seen guns in game. The SMG does have some common ground with the Assault rifle, sharing the other weapon's automatic fire and general handling characteristics, but with lower damage, recoil, larger spread, and an increased rate of fire.
Due to the Submachine Gun's high rate of fire, firing from the hip is extremely effective. Doing so, however, will consume its Ammunition very quickly; consider attaching an Extended Magazine to allow for sustained fire. A Suppressor Muzzle may also be worthwhile, as otherwise continuous fire may alert hostiles to your presence.
Alternatively, attaching a Heavy Barrel and a muzzle with a damage bonus is also viable. This setup will decrease your effective range, but will also make you more effective in close quarters. Using +damage parts can reduce the Submachine Gun from a 5-hit kill to a 4-hit kill.
Never forget that the Submachine Gun is a short range weapon by design. Stay close to cover, and if you discover an unaware enemy, hold fire until they are within effective killing distance. Stay on the move, and try to flank the enemy to force an engagement on your terms or rush in close quarters with the Submachine Gun, which likely has superior TTK (Time To Kill) to whatever your opponent is using.
There are 5 different magazines available for the Submachine Gun.
- Permanent: Free
- Frontier Rx7 'Blaster'
- Krane B.SEV 'Downtowner'
- MMRS SPRS 'Viper' (Hero weapon of Viper - J. Vansaint)
- The Burning Sensation' SMG
- Krane Dest0 'Wrath of God'
- MMRS CP2 'Mantis'
- MMRS RX Artemis (Hero weapon of Artemis - M. Akimoto)
- Silverwood BRS-Mod 'Skirmisher'
- Silverwood Mod1 'Shorty'
- The SMG is very similar in both design and function to modern weapons of the same classification, most notably the UMP(upper) and TDI Kriss (Lower; without magwell), currently employed by police forces and counter-terrorists units around the globe.
- The SMG looks exactly like an H&K MP5, the only difference being the handguard.